Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's not are you healthy, It's are you skinny?

Hi, my name is Allena. I am 5'7", I weigh 145 lbs. I am Allena and I am a woman. I was born and raised in the US of A. I was surrounded by advertisements and shows that gave me the impression that I looked wrong all through out my childhood. I  grew up thinking my body was not the norm, and I would strive to be better. Since I was a teenager I have become more confident in my body. I more so became concerned with what I wanted my body to be capable of instead of how it would look, so I started wanting  my body to be more muscular, stronger, toned. I wish my stomach looked more like a six pack and less fat. I wanted strength even though that goes against all of what society is telling me to look like, and that makes me insecure.

Females. What a beautiful topic. Just saying that word makes me smile. They come in all shapes and sizes. They are soft, strong, tough and bad ass. Females create life. They literally only take 9 months to create something doctors still can't fully do. Females carry the weight of the world on their shoulders, all the while still looking stunning.

Females. Women. Girls. Ladies. Chicks. XX. Mother. Daughter. Sister.

I love the word ladies, it is so classy and respectful to all women of all ages, young ladies, wiser ladies, crazy ladies. So ladies, I will be referring to you as that from here on out.

Ladies, why do so many of you put make up on? Why do you where tight clothes? Why do you worry about your weight, how clothes fit and how you look? I don't know the answers to any of these questions, well heck do you? Do you know why you look in the mirror and look away before you have time to find a wrinkle, which by the way is a sign of laughter, smiles and frowns (emotions people...wrinkles show that a person feels...that is a gorgeous thing). Why do so many women get scared of a camera. You do know you walk around with that same face on all the time, like ALL the time. Cameras don't change your face, they just hold on to that gorgeous face. Cameras are something to grasp your beauty, not tear it down. Stop seeing who you are as a negative thing. No, not all of us are going to be run way models or even hand models but why should that matter. Because a room full of people don't think you are worthy of their time does not mean there isn't another room full of people who would love to disagree with them and defend you. I will always be in that room, ready to disagree, ready to fight, for your beauty. Always. I am so confident in this, because I know where beauty is. No, not inside. We'll yes it is, but this isn't that type of blog. I am writing about looks here, because saying something like beauty is in the eye of beholder or its the inside that counts...those things do not change your confidence and confidence is what I am talking about.  Ladies having firmly planted confidence. Beauty is in your confidence. I want you, each of you, to be able to stare into your mirror, standing there naked and no make up and be able to say "I am worthy of respect, I do not need to be skinner, I need to be healthy. I am worthy of love."
Worthy. You need to see that you are worthy. You are stunning and gorgeous and worthy. And yet you still question me? Why Allena? Uh hello, because I said so.
And I am serious, 'because I said so' is my only reply. Why should I give more? Why are you even questioning it in the first place? Worthy? Are you worthy? Absolutely. It was never supposed to be a question, it is simply a fact. And the moment someone decides if you are worthy or not based off of your sex appeal, curves, your acne, your crooked teeth or unplucked eyebrowns, drop them. Drop them so quick they feel the pain in their soul that they made you feel in your heart.
Because as shallow as some people are, others are quality. Big thighs, curves and stretch marks are a part of reality. Live in reality and stop entertaining the fantasies, because reality is gorgeous..while fantasies are cold. Reality doesn't have to be depressing and insecure. There are men, stand up quality men who see beauty as is it, something to cherish and value, not something to mold and polish and then put up on a mantel as a trophy.
Ladies, each of you bring something unique to this table we call life, each one of you brings a new type of skin tone, or smile, a new finger print and eye color. We are all ranging in all areas.
And do not get me started on pregnancy. Well there you go, you got me started.
        Ladies, you took simple genes and put them together in your body, without even thinking about it and started the process of life. You made a person, who wasn't there a day ago, appear in your body. A person who is smaller than a sesame seed. You did that without even concentrating. Over 274 days you protect that life, help it live and you sacrifice your time, body and life so that life can start. You do an amazing, gorgeous, impressive thing. You create a life. And after those 274 days, that life comes into this world and you are left to pick up the mess. The stretch marks, the weight, the changed body and more. I have never been pregnant. I may never be. But I do know that it is impressive beyond words. Ladies...I have seen stretch marks, I have seen stretch marks from growing to fast, losing and gaining weight and pregnancy. (I'm going to tell you a little secret...You are still breath taking..) I know I just told a huge secret and you are all denying it. Stretch marks are marks of strength, miracles, beauty and life. But they are viewed less because models don't have stretch marks, celebrities don't look like they have stretch marks...What kind of world would we be in if we, as a whole society, truly appreciated the beauty of the female body. Stretch marks, cellulite, wrinkles and all. Those words made some of you uncomfortable. And yet they are just as much a part of your unique body as are your arms and legs. They are not flaws, they are accents. Flaws are health issues. Wrinkles, cellulite and stretch marks are skin. Be the change we need, see your body as extraordinarily wonderful.
Ladies, if you are pregnant, or were pregnant. Look in the mirror, feel your body and feel the stretch marks and say "Talented, gorgeous, impressive." Say it. Say it. Say it. Every day. Say it until you believe it to be the only truth. Say it, listen to it and know that I know what I am talking about. Your body is impressive.

I could write about this all day, but I won't waste any more of your precious time. I mean, you still need to go look in the mirror and that alone will take another 30 minutes, yes..look at your self and say you are beautiful for 30 minutes. Then tell me how you feel. And don't settle for beautiful, heck shoot for the stars since you are as gorgeous as they are..Go for intellectual, funny, talented, stunning, impressive and anything else you want.
Confidence is not just laid down and left. It is built, it is worked on and it is a consistent battle with society.
No, not every one is going to be your bodies biggest fan like me or your loved ones, but don't let them hold the key to your confidence. You are the key holder, you are your bodies defender. So, ladies, defend, protect and honor your body but understanding that you are unique, and you look like a model in your own wonderful way.Be passionate about who you are, what you are and why are you. And most of all, focus on being healthy, not skinny. Healthy. That is the underlining factor in all of this. Be healthy about your weight, be healthy about your body image. Be healthy. Ladies, you are wonderfully made and there is so much more to you than flesh and skin. There is a personality that is being overlooked. Never let your character or personality be defined by your smile, eyes or body shape. You are a female. You are a complex being that has layers upon layers of depth and those layers hold power. Read this and know this to be true, You are wonderfully made.

Do not let what other people think of you decide how you view you. Eating disorders start by little thoughts, depression isn't a leap, unhealthy body image doesn't happen over night. It is little moments that you ignore, dont stop, or better yet encourage because you do not feel sufficient enough. These painful things are slow, so stop them before it turns into a snow ball effect. Find strength and understand that insecurities are normal. Feeling insufficient is normal, but it doesn't mean its right. As I said, confidence is built over time. So find people to help you build it, keep it and strengthen it.

This video is of my presentation in Biology of Women, I truly think its worth watching and some of you just may be in it, I used the pictures from Facebook in it. Watch it and let know know how it affects you.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Allena. I wish there was a way for every woman in the world to read this.
    I wish more people thought the same way you do. You are an amazing woman!
    -Caitlin Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allena,
    This is awesome! :) You did such a great job! I am so proud of you! This is so empowering!
    -Whitney Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just.... wonderful honey. I can't wait to tour with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Allena..we are truly a work of art.

    ReplyDelete